By Robert Pogson
Some software you just have to love. It works well. It's easy to learn. The price is right. You can share it with others and not have to fear a knock at the door. It's Free Software. Love starts with the terms of the licence:
- OK to run the software,
- OK to examine the code,
- OK to modify the code, and
- OK to distribute the code modified or not under the same terms.
- rich or poor can use the same software,
- everyone gets software that's easy to combine any way you want on one machine, a cluster or over the network,
- everyone gets software that's easy to update from the drivers, the OS and the applications,
- costs of acquiring and setting up software drop, and
- malware, re-re-reboots and forced updates become a bad memory.
Feel the love yourself. Check out these links: